Saturday, March 08, 2008

Loaves and Fishes

Virtualpolitik friend Virgil Griffith has come up with another great web application aimed at those in the higher education community who will do a lot in the pursuit of free food. As a graduate student, I know that the possibility that free food might be offered at an event to supplement my cost-effective pasta and potatoes grad school diet was often sufficient incentive for attendance at lectures and meetings. Part of the reason I attended the external review meeting of writing programs that eventually led to what has now been a ten-year career as a writing program administrator, when I was teaching a rhetoric of science class as a grad student, was the fact that I thought that the occasion of having visitors from other campuses would surely be reason for at least a plate of sandwiches. And until very recently I never presided over a staff meeting at which food was not served. Using Google calendar, Griffith has created Freefood at Cal Tech and Freefood at MIT.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Lupton said...

This reminds me of the wonderful (if unevenly updated) Fall Fruit project, which geotags areas where fruit can be gathered from open trees.

http://www.fallenfruit.org/

(Of course I learned about it first from Liz!)

8:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home