Tuesday, October 07, 2008

The Classrooms Across the Hall



As the academic year begins for my digital rhetoric course, I am reminded that there are many other courses also grappling with the challenge of advising students about how to be effective content-creators for the web.

After the Chicago Sun-Times picked up the story about students who use YouTube to disseminate cheating strategies in which I am quoted, I learned that Dennis Jerz is thinking about how to turn this news item into a learning opportunity. Jerz is currently teaching classes at Seton Hill on New Media Projects and Writing for the Internet.

My colleague at Pitzer, Alexandra Juhasz, has now published a preliminary version on the web of her work about Media Praxis that describes her ground-breaking work teaching undergraduates with and about YouTube. Our Fall UC Irvine digital rhetoric course is listed among the sample topics for online research for her current class, and Juhasz and I will be presenting together at the Future of Writing conference.

The video above constitutes my statement of policies and procedures, which I would normally disseminate in the form of a printed sheet to students.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger bob c said...

Way Cool use of digital technology that exposes an evolutionary component of comunication, and thereby teaching, which, after all, involves multiple comunicative processes to imbue substative tranferance of thought. In my own experiance with child rearing, it was indeed, sometimes, difficult to make real to my children that although at first glance cheating (chores, eck!)seemed like the easy way out, it often took more time and effort to accomplish than just doing what was needed and ultimatly left ones skills lacking. A sad fact that will come back to haunt you, usualy at an inoportune time as one cannot always cheat effectivly to attain a goal, but if one learns a skill well, the results are predictable, repeatable, and and truly valuable.
Unfotunately, having not been able to avail myself of such thoughtful and informed consideration of the future of writing as these classes provide, as well as being a lazy speller, I fall into the group of people for whom writing is in a freefall of devolution, exasperated by the use of a medium that is, it seems, both incredably fast and incredably unconcerned.

8:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home